Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Black Rock City Mad Flava Running

My trip to Burning Man was delayed to Saturday evening so I was excited for a 14 mile run that morning.  It would have been the longest I've run to date.  I was in bed early and up at 5 to meet the girls at the y at 6, ready for the challenge, ready to break in my new shoes.  About five blocks into my run, I stepped on loose  concrete and twisted my ankle.  I stretched a bit and thought maybe I could run, but two steps in and I knew it wasn't happening.   I hobbled back to the Y and on to home, upset and feeling clumsy.  i iced my ankle and it swelled a bit.  We left for the desert that night.

We drove for 24 hours and the next night stopped in Wyoming for the night.  I went to bed with my running shorts on with the intention of getting up and trying to run.  I woke to lightning and rain and a pretty dismal stretch of hotels and fast food chains, not conducive to running.  We drove another 16 hours, waited three hours to get in, set up camp around 3 am, rode bikes til the sun came up and crashed in the cold.  At 9 am, the sun warmed up the tent and woke me.  I rolled over and saw an older man running by in a tiny speedo and got up and followed.
I ran about five miles and saw some amazing sights, sounds and people.  A lady yelled at me that there was a 5 k race the next day at 8 and I told her I would be there.
I got up and met people for the "Mad Flava Racing Black Rock City 5K."

  The lady I met yesterday was  named "something something Beaver" which I remember that part because she was wearing a bikini made of what I can only imagine was beaver fur.  I felt a bit under dressed for a bit (I wore running shorts) as people were in costume, wigs, tutus, until I ran next to someone really underdressed, naked barefoot guy.

Had a good run, met some nice people, even naked guy (who was faster naked and barefoot!) and ran 6-8 miles every day while I was in the desert.  


No comments:

Post a Comment